Osteoporosis is a condition in which the bones become weak and can result in broken bones or fractures.
Post menopausal women are at a higher risk for osteoporosis and in general, adults over the age of 65 are at the risk as well. That doesn't mean younger people and men are not susceptible to osteoporosis. There are many risk factors for osteoporosis. Speak to our specialists at the osteoporosis clinic to determine your risk using a bone density scan to see how strong your bones are (Covered by OHIP). In Canada, 80% percent of broken bones are because of osteoporosis.
At Rapid Access to Medical Specialists, we now have an Osteoporosis Clinic offered by:
- Orthopedic (Bone Clinic)
- Rheumatology (Joint Clinic)
- Endocrinology (Hormone Specialists)
- (Covered by OHIP)
- The specialists can offer diagnosis and clinical help to patients who are dealing with osteoporosisk
- The specialists will help manage your osteoporosis and ensure the best quality of life for you:
Investigations available at our facility:
- Seasonal allergies
- Bone Scans . . . Starting at age 65, scans can be done up to yearly based on medical necessity
- A bone mineral density exam (BMD) uses an x-ray machine to take pictures of bones to determine risk for osteoporosis, bone fractures or to monitor bone health. It has very little preparation and is non-invasive so you won't feel anything at all.